Thursday 10 September 2015

Job Applications: from Rock to Venus de Milo





Applying to jobs in Swedish is HARD (readers, please prepare for another onslaught of ridiculous hyperbole!)

It's like trying to carve a statue with a fork. You hack and scrape and maul the language to carve out some living shape, but it will often remain an inert lump! 


Obviously it's not my first language. 


Equally as obvious is the fact that it never will be...  :-(


However, I have a cunning plan! 


This plan shall send Lady Fluency hitching her skirts and running to my door! This plan shall expunge my meaning-mangling nordic language: my silly-sprÃ¥k!! Like a good monk who wears hair shirts, I've imposed certain restrictions upon myself for my betterment: 


1. ONLY READ  SWEDISH FICTION


The intention was to make Swedish my 'read-a-good-yarn' language. I have to say this is working: I read for fun in Swedish, and because it's fun I keep going! Plus you end up learning vocabulary through context (soooo much better than repeating words!). However,  I notice that I get bloody tired... 


2.  
WRITE SWEDISH ONLY TO SWEDES ON FACEBOOK

(simple but effective). 


3.  REFUSE TO SPEAK ENGLISH


The Swedes are damn good at speaking English. They try to lead me astray, but they can stuff it. I'M SPEAKING YOUR LANGUAGE YOU BUGGERS, AND NONE OF YOU ARE GOING TO STOP ME...... MOOOOHAHAHAHAH!
















No comments:

Post a Comment