Wednesday 28 October 2015

Stranger in Sweden




It's funny. 

I don't feel like a stranger when I walk around and hear people speaking Swedish in the street. I know enough of the lingo now!


What makes me feel like a stranger? When I'm watching a Swedish TV show and I don't recognise a single celebrity or well-known song but everyone around me does!


And then it hits me: I don't know anything here! Where the HELL am I??!!!!

I haven't been here long. The past events and experiences that form the kernel of Swedish cultural knowledge were quite literally 'before my time'. I simply wasn't there. 

It's a black hole. 

A blind spot.


As a result there will always be jokes that I will never be 'in on' and there will always be nostalgic 'remember-when' conversations to which I cannot partake.


It's a rather isolating experience.  

It's true that I can never be a part of what came before. But I can be a part of what happens from now on! And that is an encouraging thought.



No comments:

Post a Comment