Sunday 6 March 2016

Expats Missing Stuff: Decaf


What the hell is wrong with you Sweden? Alcohol-free beer at every turn; but when it comes to decaf beverages, nothing!

In Sweden decaf is viewed as being just as pointless as alcohol-free beer in the UK. So naturally decaf is denigrated and caffeine is king. It's like being a vegetarian in Texas at an annual steak grilling event. "What you say boigh? You wants WHAT!? GET ON OUTTA HERE!"

OK, slight exaggeration. But it's bloody annoying! I can only buy decaf tea from an English import shop. Condeco only serve one decaf coffee: a too-milky latte. In all coffee places in sweden 'real' coffee drinkers get infinite refills. But for decaf drinkers like me it's a one cup deal.

I'm highly aware that this is an extremely middle class problem. That doesn't stop me being pissed off.

I knew I would miss some things from the UK, but I never expected it to be this! Pubs and cheap beer, yes. But unbelievably I've found those.

Lack of a product is something expats always complain about. I used to think that was stupid and sentimental. But the availability of products in different countries indicates different values and needs. The scarcity of a once valued product is somehow destabilising and alienating. What was comfortable and part-of-the-furniture has simply disappeared. 

You simply took it for granted before. But now it's gone. And that really pisses you off!

No comments:

Post a Comment