Friday 17 November 2017

Murder-loving Swedes


Swedes love murder. Discussing murder weapons and motivation is something of a pastime.

I find myself ill-equipped to wade into this gory reservoir of shared knowledge as my in-laws effortlessly compare cases. Swedes seem to discuss murders joyously, as if they were part of some quaint who-done-it series rather than harrowing, real-life events. Of course when it comes to the news we all do this to some extent. It's just the concentration on murderers and serial killers that seems a particularly Swedish preoccupation.
   
Murder just isn't my forté, so I usually wait it out.

But on one occasion I fessed up in a desperate attempt to change the subject: "Wow, you guys love murder. I don't know any of this stuff!".

A brief pause. A few awkward shuffles. Some suffering smiles.

Then it's back to murder! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment